Italian First Courses Recipes
Ingredients for 4 people:
12 ready made cannelloni,
100 gr of ham,
150 gr. of hard cheese (Fontina,Asiago,Emmenthal etc.),
10 cauliflower florets,
1 lt of milk,
50 gr. of butter,
50 gr of plain flour,
5 spoons of grated Parmisan cheese,
- First of all boil the cannelloni in salted water for about 4 minutes, drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Clean the cauliflower florets, place in a steamer and salt lightly.
- Steam for about 10 minutes, drain.
- Prepare the besciamella sauce: melt the butter in a deep pan, add the flour and mix quickly otherwise the flour will burn.
- Add very slowly the milk, stirring all the time.
- Once you poured all the milk, add a pinch of salt.
- Keep stirring until the besciamella comes to boiling point.
- Boil for another 2-3 minutes until the besciamella turns nice and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Chop the ham, the cheese and the caulifower floret (that you have shredded in the meantime) and mix all together with 4 spoons of besciamella sauce.
- Take the cannelloni and helping yourself with a little spoon, fill them up with the mix you have just prepared.
- Take a nice oven deep dish, butter it, place 2-3 spoons of besciamella sauce at the bottom and place the cannelloni on the dish.
- Cover with the remaining besciamella sauce and top with the parmesan cheese.
- Cook in a oven at 190 degrees for about 20 minutes, serve hot.
This is not very Venetian, but it still tastes very good!