A lovely pasta recipe from Venice: quick, simple yet delicious – lots of peas, ham and cheese – everyone’s favourite! this and many more Italian first course recipes are available in our culinary vacations in Italy.
Penne con prosciutto e piselli – Penne with ham and peas
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PEOPLE:
400gr pasta Penne
300 gr. Fresh or frozen peas
100 gr. Cooked ham, sliced
50 gr. Grated Gruyere cheese
50 gr butter
50 gr. Grated parmisan cheese
1 small onion
1 cup broth
olive oil, salt pepper
- Bring a pan full of water with some salt to boil.
- When boiling put the peas and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain and put aside.
- Chopped finely the onion.
- Warm some oil and half the butter in a pan and fry gently the onion.
- Add the peas, salt and pepper and cook slowly for a little while adding some broth.
- Chop the ham and fry gently in another saucepan with the remaining butter.
- When nice and crispy add to the peas.
- Bring some water to boil, add some salt and the penne.
- Cooked for 10 minutes or until al dente, drain and quickly add the penne to the pan with the peas and the ham.
- Cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add the gruyere cheese and the parmisan, stir and serve.
- Serve hot together with a nice white wine.