Easy Rice Recipes from Italy: Risi e Bisi – Rice and peas soup from Venice
Easy rice recipes from Italy: Risi e Bisi, rice soup with peas.
The “Risi e Bisi” is a recipe typical of the Venetian tradition, excellent to be enjoyed in the spring because this is theÂ season with the best peas, the main ingredient of this dish. The rice used for this dish, however, is the Vialone nano, and not the classic Carnaroli used for risotto, which has the characteristic of swelling a lot during cooking thus absorbing more seasoning.
To define”Risi e Bisi” is not easy and even today many are wondering if this very nutritious dish belongs to the category of risotto or to that of soups: neither one nor the other! In fact,”Risi e Bisi” to be such must be a happy medium between both, that means not be too dry or too soupy, but a kind of thick soup.
Risi e bisi (rice soup with peas)
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PEOPLE:
250 gr. Small peas
200 gr. Vialone Nano Rice
60 gr. Pancetta
60 gr. Butter
1 glove garlic
- Chop the onion very thinlyÂ
- Fry the onion gently in a pan with some olive oil and butter, then add the peas.
- Cook gently with some broth and then add the pancetta. Cook at high flame.
- Cook until the peas are cooked.
- Aside bring some broth to boil, add the rice and as at half way through cooking add the peas and pancetta. Cook for another 10 minutes, this is a thick soup not a risotto, so it must be very liquid.
- At the end of cooking, add the chopped parsley , salt, pepper and lots of Parmisan cheese.