Tiramisù (Mascarpone cheese cake dessert)
Best Original Tiramisu Recipe
How many stories are told about the recipe of Tiramisù, Â the world’s most popular sweet from the city of Treviso.
The tiramisu was known because it was served in the famous restaurant Beccherie, allegedly given to business customers who kind of felt a bit tired after the big lunches! The fresh egg yolk beaten with sugar has always had a tonic effect of rapid energy. Adding the sponge biscuits made the dessertÂ a bit more digestible, the coffee wasÂ a stimulant, so the cocoa and the fresh mascarpone added that extra delicious touch!Â
This is the authentic recipe for Tiramisu, originating from Treviso – you will notice there is no rhum or marsala or any other sort of liqueur.
But you can vary the recipe as you please, adding Amaretto or Bailey’s, or any other liqueur.Â
And remember, this and all of our dessert recipes, are available during our Italian Pastry Cooking Courses in Venice.
Tiramisu (Mascarpone cheese cake dessert)
400 gr. Savoiardi (sponge fingers)
4 eggs, separated
4 spoons of sugar
1 big pot of strong coffee, preferably espresso
500 gr. Mascarpone cheese
pinch of salt
a square serving dish with high sides
- Prepare the coffeeÂ and let it cool down.Â
- Separate the yolks from the whites.
- In clean bowl whisk with an electric whisker or a hand whisk the yolks with the sugar until light and pale.
- Add the mascarpone cheese e mix still using the whisker.
- In another clean bowl whisk the whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Gently fold the whites into the mixture of Mascarpone using a metal spoon, do not stir, just gently fold in.
- Now start to assemble the dessert.
- Place a couple of spoon of the Mascarpone cream at the bottom of your serving dish and spread it well (this will make it easier to remove the slices of Tiramisu when cooled).
- Dip very quickly each savoiardo biscuit in the coffee, but not too long – if you deep it too long it will get soggy, if you deep it too little it will be too dry.
- Place the savoiardi next to each other, tightly packed and cover all the base of the dessert dish.
- Now place half the mixture on top and spread it well.
- Cover with another layer of soaked savoiardi and cover with the remaining cream. Cover with cling film.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Just before serving sprinkle with cocoa powder.