Pomodori ripieni al forno – Italian Baked Tomatoes
Italian Baked Tomatoes: Rich in nutrients and valuable antioxidant substances, the tomato, annual plant of the Solanaceae family, is a staple of the Mediterranean diet and a necessary ingredient to the welfare of those who want to embrace a healthy lifestyle.
Always used in cooking, particularly in the Italian territory, it is likely to be eaten raw as well as cooked in a variety of Italian appetizers, pasta and delicious side dishes.
Here is one of our cooking classes recipes:
POMODORI GRATINATI (GRATIN TOMATOES)
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PEOPLE:
4 big ripe round tomatoes
50 gr. Cooked ham, finely chopped
50 gr, butter
1 large white onion, finely chopped
2 gloves of garlic, finely chopped
handful parsley, finely chopped
2 spoons of Parmisan cheese
salt and pepper
- Wash the tomatoes, pat them dry and cut them in half.
- Remove the seeds and put some salt in it.
- Warm the oven at (200 degrees, gas mark 6).
- Melt 30 gr butter in a saucepan over a low heat with a little olive oil and place the chopped onion and the garlic in it.
- Fry gently for a few minutes or until the onion and the garlic have reached a nice golden colour.
- Remove from the pan and place in a bowl. Mix with the chopped ham and a handful of chopped parsley.
- Mix a big handful of breadcrumbs, the Parmisan cheese and add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the tomatoes with this mix, place them in large greased oven-proof dish and place a small piece of butter on each tomato.
- Cook in a hot oven (200 degrees, gas mark 6) for about 20 minutes or until the topping is nice and golden.
- Serve hot together with a nice white wine, we recommend a Chardonnay Italiano Costella from Cantina La Salute